Thursday, March 13, 2014

Heaven and Hell

My mother always says that we experience heaven and hell on earth itself.

She is right. Hell I have seen in times of pain and illness and death of loved ones.

Heaven, I believe, is different for everyone. One of my ideas of heaven is musical bliss.

My son and I take piano lessons. In the past few months my son has developed a strong interest in his music and practices all hours he has free. I am plodding along, wondering why I'm not able to parlay my decades of voice training to the instrument. I'm not doing badly but the leaps and bounds I thought I'd make progress with is not happening.

A few days ago, though I had a chance to get a glimpse of musical heaven. My son was practicing a song--a simple but catchy song. I told him to jump up an octave. I then played the song in the lower octaves and he played in the higher ones.

We both had the song down and playing all across the piano, even that simple song sounded fantastic.

I felt a joy in my heart that was indescribable. The thought of playing songs like this with my son as we both make progress was one filled with such happiness that I could only describe it as heaven.

I walked on air the rest of the evening.

Perhaps if we are able to find such joy in more and more things, and simpler and simpler things,
a semblance of that nirvana, bliss etc etc would be more and more within our grasp. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ranjini, read this post and remembered a song you had sung in a Marathi music program in college. If I remember right, it was tinhi saanja sakhe milaalya... Yaman at it's best. Longing for music is about the best legacy you can leave for your little ones... Sachin