Monday, August 19, 2013

Catharsis

I have suffered some heartbreak. Everyone has.

I always thought, naively I know, that decency would beget decency. Friendship would beget friendship. Even I found out eventually that love wouldn't not necessarily beget love.

Following my latest heartbreak, the loss of an old friendship, as a way to end the tension headaches and moments of deep misery, I thought I'd write this. To no one in particular.

I was going to bitch and moan about why I ought not to have been tossed aside like a used rag. Then suddenly I decided not to.

Instead I quote from a poem that has always given me strength.

Never Admit The Pain by Mary Gilmore

Never admit the pain
Bury it deep
Only the weak complain
Complaint if cheap

Cover the wound fold down
Its curtained place,
Silence is still a crown
Courage a grace

Who knows when I will have the wisdom and courage to be follow this excellent advice. But I will try, starting here and now.

And since I am not that smart, I will quote from an essay I love by Mary Schmich, 'Advice like youth, probably wasted on the young,' written as an article originally in the Chicago Tribune.

Although I won't complain, it does behoove us all to take heed to this.

'Don't be reckless with other people's hearts. Don't put up with people who are reckless with yours.'

Damn right I won't.

This is my catharsis.

No comments: