Sunday, September 7, 2008

Aging happily ever after

I turned 36 today and I am happy to be growing older. No, no I am not lying...I haven't looked better (I wish I could be as slim as I was when I was 17 but I LOVE food too much so that's a pipe dream...:-).

But I am wiser, more aware, less diffident, less hot headed, more understanding of others than ever before. A lot has to do with having had my son but also growing older has been good. I no longer wish to explain my choices to people. Being able to wear my heart on my sleeve here and bearing all (to a point of course) is very freeing.

The less there is to hide, the less issues one has accepting oneself.

Best of all I got my "Sex in the City" moment or rather couple of hours today. Sweet husband of mine presents me with a pair of Manolos. Of course I am quickly stung by sticker shock but once (again quickly) it wears off, I am thinking, the shoes could fit better. It's a size too big.

We should visit Neiman Marcus where he got them and exchange them or better still look for a different pair should a nicer one present itself. There we go then and enter this shoe paradise with a sales assistant who could well be a cast member of that popular show I am now feeling like I am part of myself. Prada to my left, Manolo to my right, Stewart Wetizman glistens in front, Gucci and the latest kid on the block according to hubby's research, Christian Louboutin in the middle. I try on several pairs of the highest heels I've ever worn and feel prettier by the minute. Now, I am a DSW girl who sometimes ventures to Nordstrom but encouraged by my better half, I manage to try shoes without even so much as a glance at the price tag.

We settle on a Prada. Fabulous! And now that I feel right at home, I try on a Stewart Weitzman pair of jeweled sandals Marie Antoinette would have approved of. Hubby says get one more, early Christmas, what the heck. And I ask the comely assistant to order me the pair in my size. At $450, it seems like a bargain compared to the Prada we have just bought.

Those of you who had once sympathized with me as a "starving' writer and are now shaking their heads. Well, smarty pants, I keep my laptop and Pradas in separate closets. That should count for something.

Besides, I plan to lose a lot of sleep over this birthday gift. Does that make me a worthier person??

I wonder.

No comments: